Protocol Documentation

@jlewallen Is there some documentation on the protocol to access the hardware using network sockets? I could dig around in the github codes but it may be quicker if I could have a few pointers on where to look!

@shashikiran.ganesh

1 Like

Hey there!

Unfortunately, documentation isn’t something I’ve got a lot of bandwidth for but I can definitely help to point out some resources for anybody feeling adventurous.

FieldKit uses Google’s Protocol Buffers to encode/decode to define the structure of its various messages and saved data.

GitHub - fieldkit/app-protocol: protocol buffers for hardware communications, primarily used by the mobile app. This repository contains the schema for communicating with the stations over WiFi. Stations create a web server that has various endpoints. It’s a good resource for seeing the kinds of things you can ask of stations, as well as the source code for the HTTP routing itself on the stations:

GitHub - fieldkit/fkc This is a golang client that can be run on a desktop and used to communicate with stations. Querying status, live readings, etc… You can also use curl to download data off of them.

GitHub - fieldkit/data-protocol: protocol buffers for stored/logged data and information. This repository contains the schema for persisted data. Any data you download off the device will have these messages.

I hope this is enough to get started!

Jacob

1 Like

Thanks @jlewallen
This is good to start with. I’ll post here if any further queries.

Regards,
Shashi

fkc worked well. I could get the live readings. Now, I have to work out a shell script to read the weather parameters.

I could read the binary data file directly using http:///fk/v1/download/data but have to understand the format.

Looks like a good start though!
Thanks,
Shashi